Background Color:
 
Background Pattern:
Reset
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DIOCESE OF SAN DIEGO


1936 The Diocese of San Diego is formed from the former Los Angeles- San Diego Diocese.
Bishop Charles Francis Buddy is installed as the first Bishop of San Diego. It includes 87 parishes in Imperial, Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego Counties.
1943 The first Diocesan Synod convened.
1949 Land overlooking San Diego and Mission Bay is purchased for the development of the University of San Diego and Chancery offices.
1956 Bishop Richard H. Ackerman appointed Auxiliary Bishop of San Diego.

1966 Bishop Francis J. Furey installed as Bishop of San Diego.
1967 Bishop John R. Quinn appointed Auxiliary Bishop of San Diego.
1969 Bishop Leo Thomas Maher becomes 3rd Bishop of San Diego.
1974 Bishop Gilbert E. Chavez appointed Auxiliary Bishop of San Diego, the second Mexican American priest to be elevated to this office in the United States.
1973 - 1976 The second Diocesan Synod convened to review and renew statutes and guidelines of the Diocese in keeping with the Directives of Vatican II.
1976 The First Diocesan Pastoral Council formed as a direct result of the Second Synod.
1978 Two northern counties of Riverside and San Bernardino are separated to form the Diocese of San Bernardino.  Diocese of San Diego now encompasses Imperial and San Diego counties with 88 parishes.
1990 Bishop Robert H. Brom, appointed a year earlier as Coadjutor, becomes 4th Bishop of San Diego
2002 Bishop Salvatore J. Cordileone is appointed Auxiliary Bishop of San Diego.
2004 Chancery offices move to new Diocesan Pastoral Center in Clairemont, formerly the Convent of the Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration.
2013 Bishop Cirilo Flores, appointed the year before as Coadjutor, becomes 5th  Bishop of San Diego
2015 Bishop Robert McElroy is appointed and installed as the 6th Bishop of San Diego.

USD College for Women 1950

Benedictine Convent Dedication 1962

The Immaculata 1960

Tuesday Night Class 1963

Union Tribune Ad 1964