Historic Missions In The Diocese of San Diego
Information courtesy of The Southern Cross
Information courtesy of The Southern Cross
Today: The mission is an active parish, administered by priests from the Diocese of San Diego. Mass times in the old mission church are daily at 7 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.; Sundays at 7, 8, 10, 11, noon and 5:30 p.m. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is offered Sat. 4-5 and at 6:30 p.m.
How to Get There: From Interstate 8 take Mission Gorge Rd. north to Twain, turn left on Twain: it will become San Diego Mission Rd. The mission is on the left.
What’s Nearby: Qualcom Stadium, Mission Valley, Old Town
Mission Website: www.missionsandiego.com
Location: 10818 San Diego Mission Road, San Diego
History: California’s first mission. Established in 1769 by Father Junipero Serra, it was moved to its current location in 1774. Father Luis Jayme was martyred there in 1775.
Times Open: Self-guided tours from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Donation: adults $2; seniors and students $1; children under 12, 50 cents. (619) 283-7319
What to See and Do: Take taped, self-guided tour of grounds. Church features include original bricks in flooring, missionary-style altar drapes.
Today: The mission is San Diego’s eastern-most parish. Mass times are Sat. 4:30 and Sun. 9:30 a.m. June-Sept., otherwise 10:30 a.m. Reconciliation is Sat. 3:30-4:30 p.m.
How to Get There: Take Interstate 8 almost to the Arizona border, after the check station turn off on Winterhaven. Turn left on 4th Ave. When you come to a sign that reads “To Bard,” turn right. At the fork in the road go right. Turn left at the dead end and you will come to the church.
Location: Fort Yuma, California
History: The first mission at Ft. Yuma was named Purísima Concepción, established in 1780. It became a U.S. military outpost in the 19th century and was revived as an active mission again in 1919. The current church, St. Thomas Indian Mission, was dedicated in 1923.
Times Open: The mission is closed during the week, but staff will accept visitors who make arrangements beforehand by calling (760) 572-0283.
Today: The Old Historic Mission adjoins the Mission San Luis Rey Parish and is a center for education and retreats staffed by the Franciscans. Franciscan School of Theology is now located here. There are plots and niches available in the Mission Cemetery. Gift Shop and Museum open daily. Daily Mass (M-F) is in the parish chapel at 7:30 a.m. and in the Historic Church at noon. Weekend Masses are in the parish center: Saturday 5 p.m. (English) and 7 p.m. (Spanish). Sundays: at 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. (English); 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. (Spanish). Sunday Mass is also celebrated in the Old Mission Church 7 a.m. English and 7 p.m. Spanish. Reconciliation on Sat. 9 a.m.
How to Get There: Take Interstate 5 north to Route 76 (not 78) east. Go 4 miles and make a left on Ranch Del Oro. You’ll come to the historic mission’s front door.
Location: 4050 Mission Ave., Oceanside, CA 92057 Phone: 760-757-3651
History: The “King of the Missions,” the 18th of California’s 21 missions, was founded in 1798. It reigned above the other missions in terms of size, productivity and population.
Times Open: Open daily from 9:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The tour costs $5 for adults, $4 seniors, $3 youth (18 and under), active military and dependents are free. Children 5 and under…free-of-charge.
Today: Pala Mission still ministers to the Native American population. Daily Mass is 7 a.m., Sat. 5 p.m., Sun. 8:30 and 11:30 a.m. Reconciliation on Sat. at 4:30 p.m.
How to Get There: Take Interstate 15 North to Hwy 76 East. Follow the road to the mission.
Location: Pala Mission Road in the area of Palomar Mountain
History: Founded in 1816 as an “asistencia” (sub-mission) to the Mission San Luis Rey. Visitors see the same stone floor, roof tiles, and adobe walls that were put in place more than 180 years ago.
Times Open: The museum is open Tues. through Sun. from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Suggested offering is $2.
Today: It is a parish of the Diocese of San Diego which still serves Native Americans as well as others. Mass is on Sat. at 4 p.m., on Sun. at 9 a.m. Reconciliation on Sat. 3:30 p.m.
How to Get There: Take Hwy 78 toward Julian. Turn left at Hwy 79 (at Dudley’s). Mission is 1.5 miles on right.
Location: 23013 Highway 79, Santa Ysabel
History: This “asistencia” (sub-mission) to Mission San Diego was founded in 1818.
Times Open: Museum and hall: daily, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Labor Day until Memorial Day, 5:30 p.m. closing for summer. Gift shop is open daily.