Superintendent of Schools
Office of Catholic Schools
The Diocese of San Bernardino is a vibrant and diverse community of Roman Catholic Believers committed to bringing the Good News of Jesus Christ to all we encounter. We are guided by the core values of hospitality, collaboration, faith sharing and reconciliation. Through the impact of the Gospel, we seek to fill lives with hope.
The mission of the Office of Catholic schools is to embrace the Diocesan vision as we lead, serve, motivate and challenge our Catholic Schools to be strong in Catholic Identity - spreading the message of the Gospel, educating students with academic excellence, building community while maintaining the principles of stewardship in our preschools, elementary, and secondary schools in the Diocese of San Bernardino in order to advance the catechetical and educational mission of the Church.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provides support and direction for all Catholic schools in the areas of faith formation, quality and innovative educational programs, effective staffing practices, responsible financial management, compliance with applicable civil and Canon laws, and local school planning.
- Collaborates with Office of Catholic Schools (OCS) staff, Episcopal Vicars, pastors/pastoral coordinators and principals in the light of the Vision of the Diocese.
- Nourishes a working, integrated relationship with the Bishops/boards and Diocesan ministries.
- Supervises the positions of Associate Superintendents and SBCES President assuring that procedures and processes are developed, implemented and maintained which fortify and promote Catholic Identity.
- Assures through a visible public presence and strong leadership of a strategic planning process, the effective operation and viability of Diocesan Catholic Schools.
- Works in close collaboration with the Catechetical Office in programs and events for best practices in support of the Religion Curriculum in Catholic Schools.
- In collaboration with the Education and Welfare Board, Executive Council, Pastors and Pastoral Coordinators, assures the identification and ongoing development of strong Catholic school leadership which includes ongoing training, formation and evaluation of current principals and the identification and preparation of strong principal candidates for Catholic School administration.
- Evangelizes, in collaboration with the Communications Office, by raising public awareness of the role and accomplishments of Catholic Schools as an important contributor to society.
- Improving Diocesan school brand as measured by an increase in student enrollment, with specific focus on early education programs, technological innovation, student retention, support of diverse populations and Latino recruitment.
- Achieving long-term sustainability and stability for all schools, through the adoption of effective governance models, implementation of sound financial policies based on realistic budgets and collaborative and transparent planning.
- As a representative of the Bishop, provides supervision to the diocesan high schools and direction to regional schools.
- Implementing Diocesan core values and cultural diversity.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Master’s Degree in Education or related field. (Doctorate is preferred.)
- Previous experience as a credentialed teacher and principal. (Catholic school is preferred and experience as an assistant superintendent is preferred.)
- Experience in change management and school improvement.
- Experience in developing and implementing all aspects of school budgets.
- Educational technology literacy.
- Self-starter, motivator, creative, flexible; ability to develop a network of professional contacts; professional demeanor; respects and understands the need for confidentiality and ethical behavior and abides by those principles.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive presentations on controversial or complex topics to Church groups, community groups and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to interview, select and place qualified personnel.
- Demonstrated success working in a multicultural environment. Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) and bi-cultural strongly desired.
- An active member of a parish/faith community in good standing with the Catholic Church. (Letter of recommendation from your Pastoral or local ordinary upon request.)
- Ability to speak, hear and see.
- Ability to travel locally 40% of the time.
- Ability to travel nationwide 10% of the time.
- Ability to work a minimum of (50) hours per week.
- Ability to work weekends when required.
- Ability to work evenings when required.
- Ability to drive a vehicle. (need to pass DMV check)
- Ability to use office equipment which requires repetitive hand /finger motions.
- Ability to utilize telephone, including dialing, answering, hearing and speaking.
Interested candidates, please forward your resume with salary requirements to:
Attention: Sinia Bustamante
Diocese of San Bernardino
1201 E. Highland Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92404
Email: email@example.com or fax to: 909-475-5189
The Diocese of San Bernardino is an Equal Opportunity Employer.