On behalf of the Catholic Diocese of San Diego, thank you for your generosity to the Church and for inquiring about our stock donation process. The Office for Stewardship has the responsibility for handling donations of stock.
Step 1 - Establish Communication Between Your Broker and the Diocese's Broker
Typically a donor can have their broker contact the Diocese’s broker at Merrill Lynch to facilitate the transfer. For security purposes, certain information is omitted from this form and can be acquired from:
Registered Client Associate
Direct line: 760-930-3122
Fax #: 760-670-3547
The donor’s broker can easily transfer the shares into the account titled: Roman Catholic Bishop of SD. The shares will then be sold and the Diocese will notify both the parish and the donor of the valuation for tax purposes. Additionally, the proceeds from the stock donation will be deposited in the designated beneficiaries account with the Diocese.
Step 2 - Complete Donation Form
Stock Donation Form (PDF)
Stock Donation Form (Word)
Download and fill out the stock donation form. Be sure to enter the percentage designation of the donation where indicated. Please note that submitting this form will not initiate the transfer of securities to the Diocese account. The Donor is responsible for initiating the transfer through his/her broker/dealer or online trading platform.
Step 3 - Return the Completed Donation Form to the Diocese using one of the method below:
Diocese of San Diego
Office for Stewardship
San Diego, CA 92186-5728
By providing complete information, the Diocese can better track these gifts and prevent delays in acknowledging the donation. This will also expedite the funds being transferred to the parish or school.
Please keep the following things in mind when sending in stock donation requests:
- For tax purposes, the value of the securities being donated is based upon the average of the high and the low price of the securities on the date the securities are transferred to the Diocese in accordance with IRS guidelines.
- The longest lead time incurred is usually in transferring the stock from its current broker to the Diocese’s designated selling broker. Typically, stock is sold either on the day it is received or on the following business day.
- Donors will receive an acknowledgment letter from the Diocese of San Diego within four weeks of transferring their shares to Merrill Lynch.
- Deadline for Mutual Funds: December 1st
- Deadline for Stocks and ETFs: December 15th
- Any donations not received by the respective deadlines will be facilitated for calendar year-end to the best of the ability of Merrill Lynch.
Should you have any questions or require further assistance, please contact:
Director, Office for Stewardship
Phone: (858) 490-8294