Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” – (Matthew 5:4)
Loss of a Loved One
This weekend program is intended for those suffering the loss of a love relationship as widowed, divorced or separated, who are ready to come to terms with that loss and move forward with their lives.
- Helps grieving persons focus on their experience and emerge from the darkness of grief into the light of a new beginning.
- Offers an opportunity, through God, for turning the pain of loss into a basis for positive growth.
- Founded by a Catholic nun and rooted in the Christian tradition, the ministry’s open, inclusive spirit serves those of all faiths.
Upcoming retreat date(s):
Beginning Experience ministry announces “Coping With Life Alone,” a retreat day for men and women coping with the loss of marriage through divorce, separation, or death. The program will be offered twice: Oct. 24 from 9am-5pm at St. Catherine Labouré (Clairemont), and Nov. 7 from 9 am-5pm at St. Mary Parish (Escondido). It is a day of guided reflection and sharing to encourage each participant on his or her own healing journey. $20 fee. For registration or questions, call Vicki at (858) 748-2273, or Sharon at (619) 884-7974, or BeginningExperienceSD@gmail.com. COVID-19 precautions will be followed.
For more information, please contact BeginningExperienceSD@gmail.com.
We are a non-profit social group of friendly Catholic ladies and gentlemen. Every month, our members enjoy happy hours, dinners, hikes and lively conversation, and we invite you to join us.
The mission of The Emmaus Ministry for Grieving Parents is based in the Catholic, Franciscan tradition of “All are Welcome. Their mission is to serve the spiritual needs of grieving parents whose children of any age have died by any cause; and help interested parents, as well as Clergy, Religious, Diocesan Staff, and/or Spiritual Directors bring this ministry to their own parishes or regions.
Red Bird was founded on helping parents address the profound healing that needs to happen while also honoring the memory of the child. Our unique value is in the attention given to protect the individual, the marriage, and other relationships from a spectrum of issues that can compound and lead to dysfunction.
For information on reproductive loss (miscarriage or post-abortion healing), please see our Reproductive Loss web page.
St. Brigid’s (San Diego)
- Our Ministry of Consolation offers a seasonal bereavement group. Seasons of Hope is a Christ-centered grief support group for those in need of consolation after losing a loved one. Each series consists of six consecutive weekly meetings, with a new series offered four times a year. The six week series is a small group journey – as opposed to a drop-in group. Each session includes prayer, Scripture, faith-sharing, and fellowship facilitated by the bereavement ministry team. To pre-register or for more information, please contact Lee Hulburt.
- Seasons of Hope Saint Brigid Brochure
Mission San Diego de Alcala
- In addition to assisting at Funeral and Memorial masses, the Mission’s Bereavement Ministry offers two unique, compassionate groups to assist mourners through their healing process. The Seasons of Hope group helps explore mourning through scripture, prayer, reflection activities and faith sharing. Facilitators provide participants with journals for each Season. The Grief Support Group allows members of the faith community to share their journey with licensed mental health professionals. Contact Dr. Roberta Flynn with questions regarding either group, email@example.com or (619) 980-9244. See their calendar here. Please note that the Mission’s Bereavement ministry is still meeting every 1st and 3rd Wednesday via Zoom during the pandemic.
- The Grief Support Group of Ascension Catholic Church believes that before we know it, that God brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be with that person as God has been there for us. For more information about the group or to attend a monthly meeting, please contact Sandy Canzoneri at (858) 565-2101.
Associate Director, Separated & Divorced Ministry
Phone: (858) 490-8292
Volunteer Mental Health Ministry Coordinator
Phone: (858) 490-8299